Thursday, April 14, 2011

Spring!

Spring is here and everywhere we go there are little green shoots peeking out from under the snow. It's so surprising to me that they are already (still?) green, because from what I understand the snow has been on top of them since November. Tough plants! Today Henry and I took the train downtown and met Steve for lunch. After some yummy sandwiches we wandered around and ended up buying a Moomin book. We were so excited to find one in English. It was a beautiful day for being outside-almost fifty degrees!- and the sun was shining.

For the record, all the Finns we have encountered are gracious about speaking perfect English to us as soon as they realize I have no inkling of what they are saying in Finnish. Though I still try to learn as many words as I can, I am already beginning to accept the fact that I am destined to be the stereotypical American that speaks only one language.


We are so happy and lucky to have beautiful walking trails like this so close to our house (even though we are only in this place temporarily). When we arrived two weeks ago it was completely covered with snow and ice.

2 comments:

Sunny Blaylock said...

Love it! Glad you are finally hitting spring. It looks gorgeous.

So are you not going to be in the place you showed us?

We miss you!

Courtney said...

No, the embassy selling this property and so they are looking for a new place for us. Which is fine...as long as it happens soon. I have been thinking of you and your upcoming two months in temp housing. Kind of a bummer when you're only in a country for a couple of years and you are just wanting to settle in. I suppose there are worse things, right?